Thursday, December 20, 2007

Cry of the Beta(s)

I bought a new beta fish for my office this week. He's red and his name is Flash. Before Flash was Speck. Before Speck was Pete. Before Pete was Ninja. Before Ninja was the fish with no name. That's five beta fish all purchased between 2004-2007. So as you can see I don't have the best of luck with these things.

First off betas are intersting creatures. They come when you tap on the glass. They also swim around and show off their fins and pretty colors. So they are kind of neat. Why do I keep buying these things? We'll get to that.

The first fish was purchased after I moved into my first apartment. I could never think of a name for him. He died three weeks later from mysterious causes.

The next was purchased a year later. His name was Ninja. Why? My psychotic cousin named him. Ninja was pretty good but he died four weeks later. Actually he kicked it the day before my friend Trey got married. Was this a bad omen? Not yet.

The next one was purchased a few years later. His name was Pete and he came in a vase with a Peace Lilly. It was when I started my current job. Things were going well untill I changed his water. I dumped out most of the water and then filled the vase back up with Pete in there. I forgot he was in there and for some reason thought I was washing dishes. So I used hot water. Pete was freaking out. He was spazing and his gills looked like they were going to burst. I forgot what I did but he survived. Then a few weeks later some books knocked the vase over and it shattered. I rescued Pete and put him in my coffee mug with some water. Well, third time's a charm. I cleaned his bowl out and put him back in there. I apparantly put too much water in there because it went up to were the plant was in the vase. It cut off the air. So he drowned.

I then bought Speck. Who was a crown fin beta. He lasted a while. All Summer in fact. Then Tuesday I was cleaning out his bowl. I poured the water in the sink. I was going to catch him in the cup I keep him in when I clean the bowl. Well, Speck swam a little quicker than usual and before I could catch him, he went down the drain.

Now I have Flash. How long will he live? Place your bets now.

Why do I keep trying with these? I obviously have no business taking care of a live creature. A friend recently observed that I like the fish and it amuses me. But I realize it's replaceable if anything were to happen to it. So I can always get another. If I were to get any other sort of animal that took more care and provided more companionship, I probably couldn't handle it if it died. Or something like that. So a fish has something to do with my deep seeded commentment issues? I doubt it.

I'm going to do my best to keep Flash living. If he dies. Well, I'll buy a new one. You might not want me to pet sit.

But I'm sure I would be a good father if I ever have kids.

No comments: