Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Going with the Flow

After reading some comments from last night's post I realized I came across at the end sounding like a drone. Well I'm a state employee so in a way I am a drone. :P But I was asked what kind of place would the world be if everyone went with the flow? Well a boring place.

I do believe that we should not always go with the flow. Bucking the system every now and then is a good thing. It gets people thinking about how things could be done differently. When I posted last night that you should go with the flow and not take life too seriously, I didn't mean to imply you should blindly walk through life.

With my job there's a lot of rule and procedures. I have to go with that flow because most of it is set in the statutes. We have a lot of deadlines and well most elected officials don't really follow those deadlines. There's rules in place for those occurences. It's a stressful situation at times. People tend to get stressed when this sort of thing comes up. What I do is just follow what guidelines are in place and guess what? It works out. The key is to stay calm which is difficult.

This is an example of when going with the flow works. Maybe going with the flow isn't the best description to use. Maybe rolling with it is better. Or riding it out to the end, perhaps?

As far as not taking things to seriously, I don't believe you should. I think you should hold dear the things that matter. Take things seriously that matter to you. But worrying over mundane thing is not the way to go. I've found in my short life that things usually work themselves out in the end. We usually learn a lesson on how to deal with similiar circumstances in the future.

I think we can learn something from the Dude, from Big Lebowski. But we don't want to be ultra complacent like him. I want to thank my two internet friends for bringing this issue to my attention. It made me think what I said through. And gave me the opportunity to write it all out. Which is what this blogging thing is all about.

No comments: