Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Look

I've spent the last 45 minutes messing around with my blog look. I'm sporting lime green now with three of my favorite movie characters of all time at the top of the page. What does everybody think?

After spending an hour looking at Big Lebowski Pictures, I think I'm going to watch that movie. It's been a while since I've seen it. I remember when I first saw it. It was about 4 1/2 years ago maybe a longer. I ran into a guy the state agency I worked for did business with. He was visiting from Tampa and I randomly ran into him in a Borders bookstore and talked to him for a long time about books and movies. He was/is a cool guy. At that time he'd been a quadriplegic for about 10 years. He lead a successful life and was an all around good guy.

Anyways, he got talking to me about the Big Lebowski and how much he loved it. He recommended to me that I should see it. He was into philosophy and into looking at things in different ways. He felt the movie was a guide to life. Or at least had an example of how to approach life, and of course that means living like the Dude. We went our separate ways. I believe this was a Thursday. The next Monday he showed up at the office during the afternoon. He had spent the weekend in town. He had a gift for me. It was the Big Lebowski. He had a letter he wrote as well. It was offering some words of wisdom to me. I was entering my senior year of college and had just moved out of my parents' house. It was the typical letter people give kids that were in my situation. At the time it meant a lot to me. I don't remember what it says and I don't have it anymore. But I still have that movie.

I wonder from time to time what happened to that guy. About a year after that he wasn't working us anymore and someone else took his space. Last I heard which has been a while, he had hit some tough times. Needless to say, that night I went home and watched the movie and loved it. I can't say I agree that it's exactly how you should live your life. But I think we could all be like the Dude. Go with the flow and don't take life so seriously. Because just like in the movie most of what we think is a big deal turns out to not really be a big deal.

3 comments:

Radiodad said...

Love what you've done with the place. :D

How much better would the world be if more of us just went with the flow?

Jinxo56 said...

I have been going with the flow for the last 8 years. Watching your wife die in front of your eyes will do that to you. Enjoy what you have while it is here. You never know when it will be gone.

Jeff said...

Going with the flow isn't the worst thing in the world, as long as you're adjusting your sails so that you can make it work for you.