Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas breakfast

In my family we have a tradition. Every Christmas my mom has any family that happens to be in town over for breakfast and to open presents on Christmas morning. It's one we've done ever since I could remember. Well since my brother and I have our own house for the past two years we've asked if we could host it. The past two years we've gotten the same response, no. I feel my mom doesn't want once to encroach on her territory and also she didn't think we could pull it off.

This year all of a sudden she says we could do it. We didn't even ask this year. Later I found out that originally the only people in town this year would be my parents, my grandmother, and my brother. And me of course. So that's a much more manageable crowd. Well this week we got the added surprise that my aunt, uncle and cousin would be here as well. That's a little bit more. My brother and I were up to it. It's only eight people, no big deal. Well mom did what mom's do. Worry about it. I guess she worried that the house wouldn't be clean or we'd under cook the breakfast casserole. Who knows. And well I'm starting to think that my mom and grandma and to some extent my aunt thinks that my brother and I are perpetually 12 years old. Never mind we're in our mid-twenties have full-time jobs, pay a mortgage and other bills.

And after some nagging and seconding guess on her part Christmas morning came. And to her surprise we pulled it off. Everything was nice. The food tasted good. No one got sick. The house was clean-ish. It was a nice Christmas.

Another storyline from this Christmas was the present we got from my grandmother but that's a post for another time...

2 comments:

Trey Collins said...

A little unfortunate that story was not concluded with a Jonathon holiday story. What, is that kid starting to normalize?

Jason said...

Ha! No he's still a weirdo.